The New Car Delima
Well it is that time. The family is demanding I get a real car. As the sole supporter of a family of three and a 100 mile a day commute. they are kinda right, my safety out weighs any savings or enjoyment i get from driving my 35mpg, paid for 22year old car. I have a few problems with this and a few choices to make.
A. I hate the styling of any and all new cars
B. New cars unnecessarily overweight (in my opinion what do you mean i cant get manual windows)
C. MPG! i get 35 average now. Most of the new cars are not much better if at all.
D. I actually enjoy the act of driving. i.e not on the phone, doing 60 in the fast lane..
E. I can and do fix & maintain almost every thing on my cars (-smog test, wheel alignment, mounting/ balancing tires) new cars take this from me. but gives me more time to spend with family
F. I am Cheap
So all that being said I have limited choices. (due to my MPG requirements) My 100 mile day commute is 80% high speed (80mph) freeway driving, 10% mountain/ twisty/ Fun and 10% Stoplight stop and go BS.
1. VW 2010 golf TDI MSRP $23,709
+Has over all a better MPG for Highway driving, 6 speed manual, drives like a real car.
One tank of fuel from SF to Seattle. I am a VW Fan. The Possibility of brewing and/ or buying Bio fuels is a huge win.
The VW Jetta and Jetta sport wagon are options too, all use the same drive train and yield similar MPG
- price with options can creep up high. Wife only drives a auto (for now).
Diesel fuel coasts more and less available at the pump
2. Toyota 210 Prius MSRP $24,550
+ It is a cool piece of tech. The toys and gadgets inside are cool to a dork like me.
Also the Idea of converting it to a plug in hybrid to get 100MPG is awesome.
-Have you ever driven a more boring car in your life.. it is a appliance you sit in to get from one place to another.
Yea it is quite and comfortable but not really fun to drive.
3. Nissan leaf ???
+ All electric car. Zero emissions. I can charge it at work possibly.
- first gen tech, range Max is close to my commute, kinda ugly, waiting list to get one
MSRP $33,720 with federal tax savings from 0-$7,500 *after tax savings, net as low as $26,220
I am not alone in this choice turns out its a common comparison
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2010/02/22/466709.html
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/reviews/diesel/4284188
http://www.driveclassicvw.com/index.php/connect-with-us/the-classic-vw-blog/2010-jetta-tdi-vs-2010-toyota-prius.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q91b-AIk-00
http://www.insideline.com/volkswagen/jetta/2009/comparison-test-2009-toyota-prius-vs-2009-volkswagen-jetta-tdi.html
http://www.hybridcarblog.com/2009/05/jetta-tdi-better-than-toyota-prius.html
Or just Google Prius vrs TDI


1 Comments:
I don't think Prius should be in your options. And from your research, that's supported. It would become a point a to point b and that's it. You'd pay to gripe that you didn't come home with the toy you really wanted. And the tech of the Toyota is so far off from the truck that it'd definetly be a while new learning curve. (which ultimately means your family would miss you as you'd never come in the house from tinkering with te damn thing)
with one of the vw's you'd have the happiness that yiu stayed true to your mechanical know how, is the technology of a new vw really that different from vw general knowledge? And you'd just plain have more fun on those curves that you drive daily. Ykwim?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home